Wednesday, November 08, 2006

It's Black / White

Black

Without going into too much details, for the past week, I felt that I've been treated rather poorly (and perhaps unfairly) by NUS. Of course, I know being an exchange student, mapping of modules across at the partner universities was never going to be easy, and I must say that for the majority of my mapping, the modules have been either an accurate mapping or at least of decent content and not something I've learnt before (which is good, contrary to what many pple think...). Well, except for 1 particular module, which is really at quite an advanced stage of learning of which I was supposed to do the fundamental learning over here. And because of precedence, I'm kind of stuck with it now, with my only alternative (taking another course) being rejected by NUS.

And after writing a mega mail at 2am here explaining my situation and presenting alternatives .... all I got was a 3-word response from sg.

I just feel that maybe NUS should be more accomodating lah, you know, being people-oriented and stuff. We're the students, the customers, no? I don't know if there's a point in learning by dead memory a topic which is too advanced for me (and the other exchange student as well) right now, but dead memory seems to be the only way to achieve a pass in the course.

In any case, press on I guess. fuggedaboutit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
White

Quite surprisingly too, is that I feel that I'm actually settling in much better than I thought I would already. In fact, I had originally thought that since I would just be over here for 10 months, I could just come light and go back light. Not bringing too much wardrobe, leaving my guitar behind, my 'airfans' speakers, tennis racket, etc.... but after 1 month here (yes it feels so long doesn't it?) I've already managed to get a tennis racket and playing quite frequently (3 diff courts in london!), bought new speakers, a comfy fishing chair, hoodies and jackets and much more shopping ahead. And my fingers are unbelievably itching to play a six-string. And I'm being offered a performance slot on Hwa Chong Nite, though that's still a bit far away to discuss about now...

And the fact that I have great friends surrounding me (you know who you are) is really a big bonus. Adds colour to my life, literally. Takes away the gloom of this city, which can really set in quite bad at times. Cold, yet not so cold, ya know?

Heh. Like Johnnie Walker puts it:

"Keep Walking"

No comments: