Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Rockstar: Supernova

howdy ho

Tonight, I was kinda torn between 2 TV shows: Rockstar: Supernova and Singapore Idol. Well frankly it wasn't a tough choice, being quite an avid rock fan that I am. But since they were playing at the same times on diff channels, I could switch between the ads to both shows. I really think Singapore Idol could learn some from Rockstar.

Alright. Of course budget wise, Rockstar wins hands down. Look at their live band's drum set, their guitar effects (incl voice wah on the 'It's my Life'). Rockstar catering to a worldwide audience, yes one would expect better sound quality. And I'm referring to the acoustics of the studio set, not the vocal quals of the contestants.

SG Idol's sound system is ATROCIOUS. Seriously. I can't believe no one has feedback to MediaCorp, or at least one of their employees should. The audience chatter was wayyyyy too loud, overbearing the judge's comments, gurmit singh, and even parts of singing. This should NOT be the case. Entertainment value drops because of that.

Production wasn't good. There was a part where gurmit was sitting in the audience ready to intro the next singer and his song, but the band started playing so the camera bo pian shift to stage. It's the stage manager's fault la seriously. Wake up your idea please.

And I think SG Idol really could do with some spicing up. It's really too dull and goody 2 shoes. Like, every performer puts on a smiley face as if the world's fine, everyone's happy. Comments were tame, mild. Of course it's not fair to compare to Rockstar where the judges, superstar rockers themselves (attitude included), had more leeway to be risque. I mean they can get away with stuff like "That's DOPE!" I think if Dick Lee said that, the singer will "har??" and the audience will cheer because, well they cheer for everything. But being on Singapore TV, well, ok the restrictions were kinda expected.

But Rockstar has an edgy element. In Rockstar, the songs for each week are posted up on a board and the contestants have to argue really seriously and some pettily over which song. It's kinda 1st come 1st serve. The bitching really adds on to the tension. Will this fella who fought so hard for this song do well ? Expectations rise. Will the fella who lost out find another gem to showcase his/her talent? Lots in store to watch.

Better than the buildup being tours of Marine Parade and Orchard all smiley and autographing. Look dear, the world's not all nicey, the workplace aint all nicey, the army aint all nicey, even your families I bet they arent nicey. So stop acting nicey. Be a little real world, it's kinda harsh out there. [I'm not bashing the contestants. It's a lot of post production editing you know...]

OK. Quality of contestants. To be honest, I never follow SG Idol much. I only know of Jonathon Leong, even that not close friends at all just acquaintance. So I can't really comment on SG Idol standard, but suffice to say, hearing what I heard so far, I think the poorest of the rockstars can get into final 3 of sg idol. But there are a couple of damn good singers with potential in Idol I feel, tho I'll keep my cards close to me for now. After all, SG Idol is the only show that can make me watch channel 5 at all.

As for Rockstar. hmm . Frankly, it's pretty obvious who are the really good ones and who will get kicked out sooner or later. I mean, look at Tommy Lee (motley crue), Gilby Clark (GnR), Jason Newsted (Metallica) ... they aren't looking for a Thom Yorke or Joe Cocker. More like looking for a James Hetfield (Metallica) or a Chris Cornell (Audioslave). And that's why I'm quite bemused by some of the band's song selections... johnny cash ? REM ? rock ballads maybe but not in the mould of Supernova. This it the huge bad point of Supernova. Please choose the hardcore rock songs that you guys will probably play or sound like.

Anyways today's performances were average at best. I think Dana will be btm 3 and possibly out. Toby is good but he damn suay la wrong choice of song. I think he is top 5 material. And top 5 incl Dilana, Lukas. It's quite obvious. Maybe Josh too.

Oh. I hope Storm Large stop um playing the mike phallic-ly. I know sex sells, and Tommy Lee will probably buy it. But um, when in the next screen, when you stand beside Brooke Burke, you don't stand a chance!

On an aside, Dave Navarro, the show's host and Jane's Addiction guitarist, is married to Carmen Electra. Tommy Lee is famous and infamous for his marriage to Pamela Anderson. And Brooke Burke is of cos their friends from Baywatch days. Well, doesn't it make you wonder .... ???

Supernova doesn't seem to me like it can last. Tommy Lee and Jason Newsted ... don't really seem to be the most 'gum' of rockers haha. Just my opinion though.

Anyways, I'm gonna go get a white shirt and black leather shoes this weekend, plus a bday gift for someone. Hopefully can find good bargain.[for shoes n shirt la!]

Tags

No comments: