Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Milan 2 Liverpool 1


It wasn't the best of games, but it sure did alleviate the pain of Milan and her fans. Especially what happened 2 years ago. Inzaghi's fluke goal, a wonderful Kaka setup for the 2nd, and a comeback header by Kuyt. Liverpool may have played better, but Milan took their chances when they came. Liverpool cannot complain, for they won 2 yrs ago even though being more thoroughly more outplayed than Milan was today.

Well, it brought back memories of yesteryears....

The 1st time I watched a Milan match, was in 1994, in Athens as well, where Milan faced Barcelona. Milan, with Franco Baresi and Costacurta suspended, were up against Cruyff's Barcelona, led by a fantastic Stoichkov-Romario combination, with Koeman, Zubiuzeretta, et al. But Milan won emphatically, 4-0 at that. I knew I loved Milan since.

In 2003, I still remember I was the duty officer that night at Kranji. Milan vs Juventus in the UCL final. We had Channel 5 in the duty office, and that night a few of the men came down and watched the match together. Milan prevailed on penalties that night, and I still remembered how I jumped for joy (haha!), before going on my rounds.

In 2005, Milan Liverpool pt 1. Painful, painful. 3-0, then 3-3. Milan outplayed Lpool, but ..... alas. Penalties lost. Very painful. I was in my room alone that night and I could not sleep.

Today, Milan vs Liverpool pt 2. Milan were outplayed by a better Liverpool, but a fluke and a moment of brilliance by the otherwise quiet Kaka put Milan in the dominant position. This day, I'm in Teresa's room, watching with Terence. What joy! I was going mad! Too happy. And watching Paolo lift it for the 5th time, just amazing what this guy can do. 39 years old, and still lifting European cups.

When is the next time? shrugs. Hopefully it will be memorable again, for the right reasons.

For now, a little celebration will suffice. Forza Milan !!

No comments: