Monday, August 14, 2006

Shawshank Redemption


I sat down tonight and watched Shawshank Redemption today. Ranked in top 5 of IMDB, and nominated for many Academy awards (although not winning any, tragically it came in the year 1994 the bumper year of fantastic shows like Pulp Fiction and Forrest Gump), I was really expecting a good show, and I wasn't disappointed.

Thought it would be a very deep and sorrowful show (ok never research properly), but it isn't. It's really a show on how Hope springs eternal, even in one's darkest moments, and that how people really deserve another chance. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman, doing great jobs in their respective roles as the main cast. Lots lots lots of symbolic things in this movie, the raven, the innocent felon, the warden with his 'clean' christian front, the shit pipe, the rain. Extremely thought provoking, plot's good enough, but it's rarely the main point.


The movie also struck home the ideal of freedom. It makes me wonder, what does it take for one to attain true freedom. And with it happiness. Plausible in this day and age, when we are so bounded by social regulations and peer expectations. Where one's salary and job speaks of one's status? Perhaps, the felons are the one pple who are really free.


Also tragic about the character Brooks. I thought it was a realistic portrayal of a felon with so much fear of the outside world when on parole, after being instituionalised for 50 years. I think its quite inspiring, on how hope can affect one's outlook in life. We can only wonder if Red will go down the same route as Brooks should he not be given 'hope' by Andy.


Ellis 'Red' Redding:I find I'm so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel. A free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams.

I hope.


Quite intriguing show. Definitely not a waste of my time (like Kungpow). Catch it if you can =)



Tags

No comments: