Friday, August 18, 2006

singapore idol is a cryin shame


I don't follow sg idol, but yesterday after watching Rockstar Supernova, the results night where Z got eleminated, I decided to channel surf. Landed on ch 5 , showing the last few moments of Idol.

It was the final 8, and standing in the bottom 3 were Jonathon Leong, Hady and Mathilda.

WTF WTF WTF

Seriously, the Singaporean voters are tone deaf. TONE DEAF. Here standing are possibly the 3 best vocal talents remaining on the show. I'm very sure the show intended to be a singing contest, but now we have seen, as well as the judges have realised, that it has boiled down to simple economics and a vote of popularity. I wouldn't be surprised if I was the producer... more votes (at 60c each mind you) = more willingness for the public to spend on an album by that singer. It doesnt matter if they have talent. if you can't sell, you won't be Singapore Idol.

Season 2 only and the show has already degenerated into a farce, if you haven't realised. The ones in the safe zone. Joaquim is a pretty boy (actually from friends, not really!) who can't sing at all. Jasmine's rather hot, ok singing, shouldn't win though. Twohill, has a decent voice, but I'll be damned if voters put him as the next Singapore Idol. Simply put, with all due respect, he doesn't look the part. I'm sure our foreign friends will question our tastes if Twohill does win. How to be Idol when cannot see his face?

But of course, what are my words against the powers that be, the voters in this case. If it were my say, based on my little exposure to them i must add, Hady seems the most worthy winner now. Jon is top 3 material. Come on, Mathilda deserves better. Her finale song after she lost was good la.

I always wondered if sg idol results are based 100% on voters. If its so, its really a cryin' shame. Of course it's important to sell albums but we cannot just blindly award on superficial attributes la pls. I don't blame the contestants loh, its really the voters who have to think carefully. And perhaps pple who care abt the show at all should start voting. Maybe I should too. But once again, many singaporeans like to critic instead of acting on the issue. And in this case, I'm like one. Aiyah, what to do. I don't follow Idol ma. Rockstar Supernova is so engaging! At least they throw up surprises every week, which makes me wanna tune in. Not like Idol, which takes a scandal to get pple talking.

Perhaps gone are the days when making the Billboard charts mean anything. Back in the 50s-80s, when the likes of a young Johnny Cash, a Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Queen, Elton John, etc. see their singles hitting the top after so much effort and hard work, there's much satisfaction to get. Now, with the MTV erosion, just take a few girls, take off their tops through the video, encouraging guys to cheat on their gfs (think pussycat dolls 'dont cha') and you get a #1 hit.

Wow. Frank Sinatra must be churning in his grave right now.


RIP SG idol.


Tags

No comments: